Do you have a question about criminal law offences?


BAC which are zero BAC, under 0.02 and under 0.05 BAC

Blood alcohol limit refers to the maximum amount of alcohol content in the blood of certain drivers depending on the category of their license and the type of vehicles they are driving. The amount of blood alcohol content is gauged by grams of alcohol per 100 milliliters of blood.

In New South Wales, there are three categories of BAC which are zero BAC, under 0.02 and under 0.05 BAC. Zero BAC strictly applies to all learners, all provisional 1 drivers, all provisional 2 drivers and those that are visiting drivers with overseas learners or provisional driver’s license or its equivalent. Holders of other driving licenses must display under 0.02 or 0.05 BAC.

Drink driving beyond the legal limit of 0.05 BAC increases the risk of being involved in road accidents that may result in fatalities and property damage. The law of Australia is strict when it comes to drinking and driving and in imposing the 0.05 BAC limit. Police authorities are authorized to stop any vehicle and subject the driver to breathe analyzer test for BAC anytime and anywhere to reduce the increasing number of road fatalities caused by drink driving.

To keep and stay within the blood alcohol content limit, fully licensed male car drivers must not take more than 2 standard alcohol drinks like a glass of champagne, or 375 ml stubby or a can of full strength beer within the first hour, then followed by 1 standard alcohol drink very hour after that. Fully licensed female drivers cannot drink more than 1 standard alcohol drink every hour.

Previously, the BAC for fully licensed drivers is 0.08, but there was no apparent decrease in the number of road accidents because of drink driving. When this limit was lowered into 0.05 BAC, deaths from drunk driving declined from 5% to 18%. 

Disclaimer : This article is just a summary of the subject matter being discussed and should not be regarded as a comprehensive legal advice for you to defend yourself alone. If you are charged with criminal offences, it is recommended that you seek legal assistance from criminal lawyers.

Ask a Question - It Is Free