Do you have a question about criminal law offences?


Possible penalties for drink driving offences

The penalties for drink driving may range from fines, demerit points, imprisonment, cancellation or suspension of license, or all of the aforementioned.

The blood alcohol concentration (BAC) that is allowed by law for full license holders is below 0.05. A person with this BAC level is presumed to still have his sense of control and alertness to be able to drive safely. When the BAC reaches 0.05 and more, a person can be punished for drink driving.

A distinction must be made in the case of a driver with a learner permit who must maintain an absolute zero BAC level when driving. It must also be noted that the penalties will apply even if the driver is driving on private road.

For first offenders, authorities have the option to issue an infringement notice or take the offender to court. Subsequent offenses will not anymore receive an infringement notice and will be charged immediately in court for the traffic offense.

Possible penalties for drink driving offences -losing your licence

In the majority of cases, the magistrate is obliged to cancel your driving licence and ban you from driving for a certain period.The level of punishment will depend on the level of your blood alcohol concentration (BAC).

If your reading was 0.10 per cent or more, your licence would be canceled, and you will be disqualified from driving for at least:

  • 10 months if BAC 0.10 or more but less than 0.11
  • 11 months if BAC 0.11 or more but less than 0.12
  • 12 months if BAC 0.12 or more but less than 0.13
  • 13 months if BAC 0.13 or more but less than 0.14
  • 14 months if BAC 0.14 or more but less than 0.15
  • 15 months if BAC 0.15 or more but less than 0.16
  • 16 months if BAC 0.16 or more but less than 0.17
  • 17 months if BAC 0.17 or more but less than 0.18
  • 18 months if BAC 0.18 or more but less than 0.19
  • 19 months if BAC 0.19 or more but less than 0.20
  • 20 months if BAC 0.20 or more but less than 0.21
  • 21 months if BAC 0.21 or more but less than 0.22
  • 22 months if BAC 0.22 or more but less than 0.23
  • 23 months if BAC 0.23 or more but less than 0.24
  • 24 months if BAC 0.24 or more.

Speak to a traffic lawyer if you have been charged with driving under the influence before or if you have been found guilty of a drink or drug driving offence before.

Disclaimer : This article is just a summary of the subject matter being discussed and should not be regarded as a comprehensive legal advice for you to defend yourself alone. If you are charged with criminal offences, it is recommended that you seek legal assistance from criminal lawyers.

Ask a Question - It Is Free